I love candles. I love how they fill my house with beautiful fragrance. They make me imagine I am
Take your pick, but in any case, something very different than the laundry filled, cheerio ridden, mess I call home. However, I recently learned that providing myself that escape, I was likely releasing harmful toxins into the air. “Research has shown some scented candles produce smoke laced with almost as many toxins as those produced by cigarettes.” says an article by the Daily Mail. It was an insightful read on the dangers of burning candles. But what do I do now? What is the alternative? A scent pot!
Since discovering scent pots I am now hooked. Before I was relying on a company to provide me with amazing smells, now I can create whatever I want myself! It is as simple combining a mix of different fruits, herbs, spices and flavours in a pot with water on the stove. I wanted to share my newfound obsession with my family this year for Christmas, so I made a Christmas Scent Jar for everyone!
Read on for instructions on how you can make your own Christmas Scent Pots.
So easy a toddler can do it, mine actually did
Scent Jar Materials:
- Mason Jar
- Twine or Ribbon
- Scent: You can make this however you would like. In this example I used the following:
- 1 Orange
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- Tbl Whole Cloves
- 1 Snip of a Pine Branch
- 1/4 cup of Cranberries
- 1 Shaving of Gingerroot
- 1 Sprig of Rosemary
Scent Jar Instructions:
- Combine all ingredients into jar
- Write out To, From and Instructions on label. For instructions, I wrote:
“Scent Pot: 1. Add contents and water to pot on stove, 2. Simmer, 3. Enjoy!, *Good for 2-3 days*
- Wrap twine or ribbon around collar of lid and attach label.
Tips and Tricks:
- Make it a fun activity for you and your little guys! They love the sorting and helping out.
- For the snip of pine I cut from my pot out on my porch but you could also get from your Christmas tree as well. The rest of the ingredients should be found at a grocery store.
- Scent pots do not need to be limited to just the holiday season. <a href="http://www.theyummylife view it now.com/Scent_Jar_Gifts_and_Centerpieces” onclick=”__gaTracker(‘send’, ‘event’, ‘outbound-article’, ‘http://www.theyummylife.com/Scent_Jar_Gifts_and_Centerpieces’, ‘The Yummy Life’);” target=”_blank”>The Yummy Life has an amazing list of recipes to chose from. Highly recommend this resource!
According to Amanda… the verdict is:
I love this! Simple, fast and fun with the kids! Great way to treat family and friends during the holiday season without breaking the bank! The hardest part is deciding on and sourcing the ingredients.