There is nothing more satisfying than purging a cluttered closet and being paid with cold hard cash for the items that are no longer wanted! (Well, there are probably things more satisfying in life, but you get my point additional resources.) The trick is finding the right buy/sell site to sell your stuff so you pocket the maximum value with the least amount of effort and time. My go to website/app hands down is VarageSale, a virtual garage sale.
If you are an avid reader of mine, you have probably come across my previous review of VarageSale where I give it a whopping score of 9/10.
Now that I have convinced you to use VarageSale to purge, I want to share my selling techniques with you by combining my knowledge gained by actively using VarageSale for 2 years with my past experience in marketing and merchandising. If you want to learn how to make the most $ in the least amount of time with only a little effort read on!
8 Ways to Make More Money on VarageSale
- Great pictures are absolutely essential!
- You are only able to have 1 image for your post, so make it good. To take the best pictures using your phone, turn it horizontally and then keep the object centered in a square in the middle of the screen. VarageSale will crop your images to a square size and you don’t want to miss out showcasing a valuable elements of your item.
- Display and merchandise your item to show off all of its features. If you are selling a magic bullet, neatly line up all the cups, lids, books, cords, etc so potential buyers can easily see what is all included.
- Consider lighting and image quality. If a potential buyer can’t see what you are selling then they are quite likely not going to pursue the sale. Kijiji says you would get at least twice the amount of interest with an image. I’m shocked it’s that low.
- Show the size of the item you are selling by lining up a normal household object next to it – my personal favourite, a bottle of wine or, as is becoming an internet standard, a banana.
- You can add images in the comments section of each posting if needed.
- Pricing can make or break you.
- Ensure you are posting at a fair value for a USED item. Even if it is brand new there is risk involved for the buyer in all transactions when buying from a website like VarageSale. There is an expectation that the price will not be the same as retail. They are on these sites because they are looking for a deal.
- Be ready to negotiate especially if a person is buying multiple items from you. If you don’t want to negotiate indicate that with saying “price is firm” in the post description. Don’t be offended if they lowball, lots will, you don’t have to take their offer if you don’t want to.
- Excellent titles make you SEARCHABLE! Even though it seems self-explanatory that the picture is of a Coach purse you can’t just label the items “purse $50”. The post title should at least include colour, size, shape, use, condition or season and definitely the brand name if it is of high quality. All the information in the title is searchable so spelling is essential. You will also get fewer questions and more serious buyers if they know exactly what they are getting.
- Timing is everything! Avid VarageSale buyers are keeners. Well before the weather turns, a good buyer knows to get stocked up for the next season. So if you want the best chance to sell your stuff make sure you have it out EARLY! For example by mid August at the latest you must have all your fall/winter items posts. Back-to-school shopping happens early!
- Don’t sell crap. You are probably thinking “well obviously!”, but you would be surprised at what kind of garbage you can find used – so someone is still doing it! If you are going to sell well used, stained baby clothing, label it that way and offer it for free. Someone may be in desperate need or DONATE IT! or THROW IT OUT!
- You get one shot when you post; make it good! Although you have the ability to ‘bump’ your items back to the top of the category, my best sales were always the stuff sold as soon as the post went live. People who follow a category will be notified of all brand new listings only, not when an item is bumped.
- Bump, Bump and Bump Again! The more you bump the faster your stuff will sell. Period. You are not allowed to post the same item multiple times so this is the only way to get it gone fast!
- Customer service goes a long way. Think of VarageSale as your own little store. Be polite, friendly and clear with your ‘customers’ and they will be back. Members can follow individuals as well as categories so if they have a good experience with you they may follow you to see what else you will post. And of course, if they were great to work with then make sure you “praise” your buyers. Often they will “praise” you back!
According to Amanda… the verdict is:
I have had a lot of success using VarageSale to sell my used items. Using these techniques have improved the speed I have sold my items as well as allowed me to capture as much $ value from them as possible. Are there any other tricks you have used to sell on VarageSale? If so, please post in the comments.
Stay tuned for the upcoming post, VarageSale: Tips & Tricks for Buyers!
Like what you’re reading? Sign up for my Saturday Morning Newsletter to never miss a post!