Back during the Christmas holiday’s I wrote an article about scent pots as an alternative to burning toxic paraffin candles. The idea is to add herbs and fruits into a pot with water on the stove and simmer, which will release their scents into your home. It is A-MAZ-ING! Unfortunately, I have a solid case of mommy-brain and have forgotten the pot on the stove a couple of times. Needless to say, I am a walking fire hazard and scent pots, although a wonderful solution, are probably not something I should do without adult supervision. So back to google I went and I discovered a fool-proof solution even I can’t screw up, an Essential Oil Diffuser.
There are a range of types of essential oil diffusers available from pendants worn around the neck to electric warmers to clay pots but the best and most effective, is a cool mist nebulizer. Essentially it works by vibrating a small ceramic disk at a high frequency at the bottom of a reservoir of water. This vibration breaks the water and oil down into fine microscopic particles that are dispersed into the air in a cool mist that is emitted from the top of the diffuser. The nebulizer method is the best way to enjoy the benefits of your essential oils and once the water runs out it automatically shuts off.
Health Benefits of Essential Oils
An essential oil diffuser is not just used for making your home smell like a spa, there are real therapeutic reasons to use essential oils. A nebulizer diffuser emits very small water and oil particles in a mist which are dispersed throughout the room. These small particles are easily absorbed into the lungs so you can maximize the oils benefits. The smaller the particle, the easier the absorption which is why a nebulizer is the best type of diffuser. Essential oils can help with the below:
- Known to be effective against bacteria, molds, and viruses thus improving mold allergies. ¹
- Provides respiratory, sinus, nose, and throat support. Try diffusing eucalyptus throughout the night while you sleep to help with a cold ²
- Mood lifting, calming, relaxing and mind focusing effects. Try an orange essential oil for children. ²
- Boost your immune system, particularly with thieves oil and lemon essential oil ²
- Naturally cleans and purifies the air ²
- Assist in balancing hormonal issues ³
My Search for an Essential Oil Diffuser
There are many places to buy essential oil diffusers like Amazon, Sage, Young Living, just to name a few, but what I found was that many of them looked like medical devices or something found on a set of Star Trek. I was quite disappointed in the selection of ‘pretty’ units. There was no way I wanted to permanently display a white plastic machine on my nicely decorated hall table! And then I came across Scentsy’s brand new ultrasonic essential oil diffuser.
Scentsy has recently added a high quality essential oil nebulizer to their product line. These units are both highly functional and also beautiful enough to be proudly displayed. The 22 cm tall diffusers come in 3 styles: Evolve and Instill are made of hand-blown glass and the Aspire is made of porcelain. All three are sold for the same price.
I connected with Cindy Mendonca, an independent Scentsy consultant, to learn more about this diffuser. She gave me a tutorial and loaned me a unit to test for a couple of weeks. Here is my review:
Scentsy Essential Oil Diffuser: Pros
- There is no doubt about it! Scentsy’s diffuser is beautiful! One of the best looking units I have come across. All three would nicely complement my décor.
- Scentsy stands behind the quality of their diffuser by offering a LIFETIME warranty from any defects in the material and workmanship. Almost unheard of with other diffusers.
- There are 16 different lighting options! You can choose to have the light on, dimmed or flicker like a candle. You can also choose the colour mode, which features 12 different colours in a continuous cycle OR you can pick one of the colours to remain on. And finally you can also chose no light at all. The kids were obsessed with the changing colours! Even when the diffuser wasn’t on they wanted the colours!
- The diffuser was so easy to use. There are just 2 buttons: one to control the diffuser and the second to control the lighting.
- Scentsy has a full line of their own essential oils but you are not limited to their selection. Any essential oil can be used in the diffuser.
- While the diffuser releases cool mist into the air it is multitasking as a humidifier too. Great for dry winters or in your bedroom when you are sick.
Scentsy Essential Oil Diffuser: Cons
- The Scentsy essential oil diffuser is EXPENSIVE! The diffuser costs $156 CDN plus tax and shipping and this does not include any essential oils. Considering that Amazon.ca sells many units under the $80 mark I find it really hard to justify such a high price tag. (I can’t speak to the quality of those units and they do not come with the features that this one does but I would take the risk and save more than half the cost.)
- Of course this is a review of the diffuser and not of their essential oils but it is important to note that Scentsy’s essential oils are ONLY mood enhancing. They do not claim any health benefits. So if one of the main reasons you are planning to use the diffuser is for medical support you will want to consider purchasing a different brand of oils. I found a great blog post by a Whole New Mom comparing the top essential oils.
According to Amanda… the verdict is:
This was a tough one. I really wanted to love it (and I do!), but I just can’t get over the price tag. As a newbie to the essential oil world I will easily be in well over $200 after buying the Scentsy diffuser and a couple of bottles of essential oils. That just isn’t in the budget right now. It is so hard to make this verdict since the diffuser is basically everything I was looking for! Easy to use, beautiful, multiple lighting options, high quality, etc. So if you can stomach the cost than I would highly recommend!
I would like to thank Cindy Mendonca, an Independent Scentsy Superstar Consultant, for loaning me the diffuser to test. It will be hard to give back! If the price doesn’t scare you or if you are interested in other Scentsy products, connect with Cindy. She can support you with all your Scentsy needs no matter where you are in North America! www.cindymendonca.scentsy.ca Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Cell: 289-675-5812, Facebook: Creating Scentsational Memories (Cindy Mendonca)
Just in case you are curious: This post does NOT contain any affiliate links and I was NOT compensated for this review. The opinions expressed are 100% my own. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. Thanks for reading!