Our pursuit of defying age and the fountain of youth isn’t reserved just for the current selfie-obsessed culture of today. For centuries, women (and men) have been trying to beat genetics and delay the inevitable trademarks of old age, however the methods certainly have changed! Read on for the weird to the horrifying to surprisingly scientifically advanced techniques of the past and then fast forward to the present cutting edge practices of today.
A History of Anti-Aging
- Cleopatra: The world’s most famous queen, Cleopatra, was quite creative in the anti-aging department. There were a number of different methods she would use, but the most notable was donkey’s milk. The alpha hydroxy acids in the milk possessed anti-aging and skin-softening agents ¹ and were then mixed with fresh honey and almond oil. She was so dedicated to this that she would even travel with donkeys in tow to ensure she could bathe whenever she needed.
- Countess Elizabeth Bathory de Ecsed: This 16th century countess from Hungary is something from a horror movie and holds the Guinness World Record as the most prolific female murderer ². Elizabeth Bathroy believed that by bathing in the blood of her victims, she would retain her youthfulness. It is estimated that she tortured and murdered up to 650 girls before her imprisonment in 1610.
- Charles-Edouard Brown-Sequard: This French physiologist reported that he “rejuvenated” himself by injecting his body with a fluid prepared from the testicles of freshly killed guinea pigs and dogs. Whether or not he was able to turn back the clock, it did lead to further study of sex hormones.
- The Victorian Era: Not knowing the full toxic effects of mercury, Victorian women would rub it onto their faces to keep their youthful glow and remove acne. It worked wonders, but only because it was corroding away the surface of the skin. Probably not a great long-term remedy…
Fast forward to today and you will still find a barrage of bizarre methods touted by celebrities such as Jennifer Lopez enjoying placenta facials, Kim Kardasian’s vampire facial and Demi Moore using leeches. You don’t have to stoop to such extremes though, there are great products sitting on the store shelf just waiting for you and the latest from AVEENO is a show stopper.
AVEENO Absolutely Ageless
I don’t know about you, but I prefer to avoid the crazy fad-like procedures and stick with trustworthy brands, natural ingredients and real clinical proof. A company that I have been a loyal customer of for years has been AVEENO. They have recently come out with a brand new collection, Absolutely Ageless. Using blackberry leaf and dill extracts, AVEENO Absolutely Ageless improves the appearance of lines, wrinkles and other signs of aging in as little as one week.
Don’t miss the coupon below for
$3 Off AVEENO Absolutely Ageless
Their collection includes:
- Daily Moisturizer SPF 30 – Visibly reduces the look of fine lines and wrinkles while smoothing skin texture and tone, so skin looks younger and healthier in one week. Protects with broad-spectrum SPF 30
- Restorative Night Cream – Deeply nourishes and hydrates dry skin throughout the night to help you awaken to softer, smoother, younger-looking skin in just one week
- Intensive Renewal Serum – Strengthens skin’s natural moisture barrier to maintain healthier-looking skin over time, while providing nourishment to complement healthy skin renewal
- Nourishing Cleanser – Removes 99% of skin-aging impurities to reveal healthier, younger looking skin without over drying
- Eye Cream – Improves visible signs of aging around the eyes by reducing the appearance of stubborn crow’s feet and under-eye puffiness
I have been testing Absolutely Ageless for about 2 weeks now. I was expecting to feel weighed down and greasy with all these deeply nourishing and hydrating creams but that hasn’t been the case and my skin feels so smooth and healthy. It has also been the perfect remedy for my winter dryness.
My favourite product in the line is the eye cream. I apply it before bed as well as the morning and my eyes no longer reflect the tiredness I perpetually feel. I especially love the cool, calming effect at the end of a long day as part of my nighttime routine.
According to Amanda… the verdict is:
If you are on your own quest for the elixir of immortality or just wanting to postpone the inevitable wrinkles, don’t succumb to the fad potions and procedures of the past or present! I encourage you to try AVEENO Absolutely Ageless for yourself ($24.99-$29.99). Download my coupon for $3 off and let me know what you think! There are video tutorials on YouTube for more information as well.
Try AVEENO Absolutely Ageless today
with this $3 off coupon
Like what you’re reading? Sign up for my Saturday Morning Newsletter to never miss a post!
In case you were wondering… AVEENO generously provided the Absolutely Ageless products and has compensated me to be featured on my blog. The opinions expressed are 100% my own. I won’t ever recommend a product I do not fully endorse.